Honda SH50 "Skoopy" Scooter Restoration & Tuning

Other things i enjoy

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:07 pm

Honda SH50 "Skoopy" Scooter Restoration & Tuning

In my time on this earth i have managed to own 38 motorbikes. A big portion or which has been scooters. I first rode one when i was 15 and i loved it, they are such funny little machines. Even more so when you tune them to out run many cars and leave people confused as to how a granny moped just beat them off the line. In this time i made a DVD of me and my friends riding around in our teens, ran the UK's biggest web forum for scooters and generally had a blast tuning these little machines.

Anyway, recently I've been (finally) learning to drive a car and I sold my 125cc motorbikes to fund the car licence. Needing to get around still though, i got myself a very cheap little run around...

A honda SH50, 50cc 2 stroke scooter. Fully MOT'd for almost a year, running fine and good to go for the small price of £200! Of course at that price it does have a slight issue which was the exhaust was blowing a bit. Other than that though it was good to go!

It also has a few cosmetic issues...

Some genius put a learner plate on it with glue... marvellous! Anyway, up till now i have put a new spark plug in it, cleaned the air filter, tweaked the carb idle and fuel/air mixture screws and also topped up all the fluids.

I also planned to de-restrict the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) as I have had a couple of bikes prior which used this engine and they are restricted by the CDI unit which causes them to never, ever go over 30mph! Even down hill! It works by cutting the spark when the revs exceed 7000 rpm and is really annoying!

You can bypass this by cutting into the CDI unit and cutting a ground wire which goes from the IC on the PCB to ground to cut out the next stage of spark to exceed the 7000 mark.

As you can see here, I've done this already but oddly without any success! I have done this on 2 Honda X8R-S scooters before which use this same engine and both worked perfectly but this one didn't work. I'm still confused as to why not.

As you can see, the exhaust has seen better days...

The good news is i have plans for this bike to make it go a little faster and clean it up a bit.

Plans:

Order new exhaust and fit with a new header gasket to make it nice and quiet again
Order and fit a racing CDI unit (unrestricted revs)
Further tune the carb (perhaps even do a carb clean)
Respray the exhaust and rear shock bracket
General clean up but nothing too major as it is ultimately a cheap and cheerful bike

Site Admin

Post Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Honda SH50 "Skoopy" Scooter Restoration & Tuning

Ok so i've now ordered a exhaust to cylinder gasket, a new exhaust and a new racing CDI unit.

Seeing as i have a new CDI unit coming now, i thought why not investigate into the original CDI more and see if i can work out why it's not working.

I cut away at the rubber some more till i got to the PCB. I noticed one of the SMD capacitors were a little loose so i removed it.

I thought one of the legs may have come off and that could cause the CDI to remain restricted.

I soldered some wire and then soldered to capacitor to the end.

Tested it...

... and sadly still nothing... So strange how this isn't working out. Either way, the racing CDI unit will sort this issue. I may investigate further if i get bored and see if i can work out whats going on with that original CDI.

Site Admin

Post Tue May 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Quick little cosmetic update. I tried removing the super glue on the front with no success so the only other option is to cover it up with what was originally there. I also replaced the one on the rear for a new one.

Not the best, L plates are apparently smaller than they once were so it won't completely cover the bottom area but overall, better than it was.

Site Admin

Post Tue May 02, 2017 1:58 pm

Got back home and picked up a few bits on the way. Some back to black and some tyre restore foam. The plastics and tyres really age the bike at the moment.

First up, the back box which really is faded and has certainly seen better days.

After a good bit of back to black it looks much better!

Next up, the foot rest portion of the bike.

Being grey in color this plastic didn't come up quite as well but still a huge improvement.

Next, the air filter box.

Much better! Next, the flywheel cover.

This is where the biggest improvement was made, it looks fantastic!

Rear light section...

All done! Much better overall. Time for the tyres.

And lastly... a good old wash! It probably hadn't been washed in years so i gave it a good clean and rinse and afterwards it was looking great!

Site Admin

Post Wed May 03, 2017 10:13 am

CDI unit arrived today, exhaust should arrive later too.

It's now running at full RPM and has gone from an annoying 30mph to 45mph. Still not anything you could consider fast but fast enough to stop cars getting right up behind me and putting me at risk which is the entire reason i did this.

New exhaust should arrive later.

Site Admin

Post Wed May 03, 2017 12:23 pm

Time to get that exhaust off and spray the rusty bits!

Here's our lovely hole!

Here is the exhaust and rear shock bracket, time to make that look a lot more presentable!

Sanded down.

First few coats! Looking good!

I also did the front forks.

While i still had some spray paint left i did the rear shocks as well.

All done! Looks far better!

Still had some paint left so i went ahead and did the center stand too.

All done and now waiting on the new exhaust to arrive so i can fit it and it will be all done and ready to roll!

New nuts, washers and header gasket waiting for the new exhaust!

Site Admin

Post Wed May 03, 2017 3:24 pm

New exhaust arrived!

It was pretty tricky to fit so i didn't get any pictures of it going on but ultimately, it's on now! One issue i found was the header gasket was incorrect so i had to keep the old one for now i will change it at a later date.

Sounds great now and with the CDI done it also actually moves now which helps.

Finished pictures:

Site Admin

Post Mon May 08, 2017 10:55 am

I gave the bike a compression test today to see how well the cylinder is holding up.

The mileage is nearly 47,000 which is absolutely insane for a 50cc engine. I'm curious how well the cylinder is holding up after all those miles.

All connected ready to test the cylinder.

It's doing 126 psi! Absolutely great result for a little engine with this many miles. Ideally you want between 110 - 130 psi so this is a really promising result!

Got to love Honda engines. They go on forever!

Site Admin

Post Mon May 15, 2017 3:57 pm

Had a look at some dyno graphs today, it would seem i can get a bit more out of this machine.

If i add a sports variator and longer belt I could see an indicated 55 mph that would be a big improvement over my current 40 mph indicated speed.

Time will tell if i actually do this though as currently the bike runs so well it seems a shame to mess with it. I did 34 miles on it most of which was spent flat out and it didn't miss a beat. The fuel consumption is also improving as i flush out the older fuel for fresh fuel (and likely cleaning the carb at the same time).

Site Admin

Post Wed May 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Today i had the exhaust off again and fitted the new gasket (correct one this time..)

Old gasket coming off:

Old and new gaskets:

Fitting:

All done!

Actually sounds a bit quieter now which is good I guess that old gasket really needed replacing.

Site Admin

Post Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:39 pm

One last touch, tackling that nasty seat!

Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:36 pm

I didn't bother getting the higher end variator for this machine but i decided to change the belt and rollers anyway as who knows how worn and old they are.

New belt and rollers:

New belt and rollers in

All done, bike is pretty much finished at this point.

Return to Other Hobbies & Interests