Ridge Racer Upright Arcade Machine Fix + Restoration

Projects on computer game consoles and arcades

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:04 pm

Ridge Racer Upright Arcade Machine Fix + Restoration

I got myself a Ridge Racer upright cab yesterday which was for sale on Facebook of all places... The chances of finding your grail cab on Facebook... who would of thought huh?

It had been left in a very cold industrial warehouse for about 4 years so naturally I had to go and save it! The guy bought it with the intention of putting it in his man cave but never fixed the screen and was about to move so it had to go.

Got there and all the stuff he posted about was obviously there. Sadly the coin mech wasn't mounted properly and had damage to the mounts the foot rest was completely gone and a few other bits which weren't mentioned were apparent but most importantly the PCB was showing signs of life so naturally... with this being my grail cab, local and in need of TLC I paid the man and made off with my new project.

After getting it inside and giving it a quick test to see if it had survived the journey i left it to rest in it's new home for a bit.

This morning, the work began! Restoration and various fixes for this poor little cab which has been in storage for many, many years. Now, so far I know the screen doesn't work (possible chassis?) but it has no screen burn which is good as you can see below.

The accelerator is stuck on, the light on the marquee is out so i need a new 18" tube and starter. It also needs a fair bit of TLC/cleaning as it is filthy inside and needs painting in various places.

Here is how it stood yesterday:

Now I've begun removing the chassis to be sent off for repairs but I've stopped at this...

... because I'm a wimp haha. Seriously though upwards of 30,000 volts... no thank you! Plus i don't have any of the right tools for the job even if i wanted to so I'm stuck here for now.

I began to do the rest of it though giving it a good clean out and removing parts to be checked and cleaned but also giving myself more room to work with inside the cab.

I managed to find the cover for the I/O board thankfully. it was hidden away inside the cab..

I've also removed the power supply ready for when my multi meter arrives so i can do some more tests on it make sure all the voltages are ok. It could also do with some TLC so i plan to put a new fan on it and a new fan guard as the one that is on it is flaking badly.

I've also noticed the coin mech is missing some parts to attach it to the door and it also needs locks all around as all the keys are gone. Luckily all the doors and panels are open so no big deal.

I've also got these to look at...

The accelerator is stuck on for some reason so I need to work out whats going on there.

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:26 pm

Re: Ridge Racer Upright Arcade Machine Fix + Restoration

I've just made my way into the top after some good old struggles with alen key bolts.

Going to order a new tube and a new starter.

had a quick look on ebay and 5 starters + an 18 inch tube came to less than £5 posted so I've just gone ahead and ordered those.

I've just wrestled the locks off and am currently looking for replacements.

I'm happy to report the chassis is now off thanks to aeroflott aka Tony who is the Missle Command world record holder. MASSIVE thanks goes out to him for coming and doing the discharge on my monitor. Such a nice guy!

I've just ordered a complete new set of locks with matching keys for it.

I'm also going to be taking these coin doors off soon and they are off to be sand blasted and primed ready for some new paint.

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:29 pm

Had some goodies in the post today! PSU fan cover replacement and lock set.

Time to give that PSU a good clean out and change that nasty fan cover!

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:34 pm

I thought I would have a look at the ROM board and see if its all clean or needs compressed air going over it. Turns out it was absolutely mint!

Ok well I couldn't work out a way to test it so I've put it back in the cab now and connected everything up I will unplug the PCB and test the voltages that way.

Before putting it back in I thought I would have a look at the ROM board and see if its all clean or needs compressed air going over it. Turns out it was absolutely mint!

Took the fan off and cleaned that too.

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:38 pm

Got some more bits done today!

New back panel for the monitor (to be painted black).

This next part might ruffle some feathers of those who like originality. It actually annoys me alittle to be honest but I really have no choice as the chip board is so rotten I've had to cut the remaining parts of what was the foot board away, i may rebuild it later but for now it will do.

Needs tidying up and some glue to hold the rubber down but will do for now.

Shortened the metal plates down for the bottom of the unit.

Getting there. Also thankfully even without those front legs sticking out it is still perfectly stable even if you lean it forward.

Should be ready for the big switch on next week, then i can finally check those pedals out and the voltages.

Getting there!

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:41 pm

Well ladies and gents... shes ALIVE! Big smile Thanks goes out to Gunblade for his excellent work on my chassis.

Now with all excitement out the way there are some things i need a bit of help with...

I need to know is there a way to adjust the pedal on the actual thing itself. the pedal works just fine but it seems to be out of wack... I've gone into the test settings and it is clearly out of its default area..

Also the eagle eyed of you will notice there is a bunch of white dots over the screen these are always there and move slowly then speed up and move faster it's very strange. RAM chip on it's way out maybe? Anyone got any idea's if this is something of concern?

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 am

New exhaust fan arrived

I also tried to fit the gear decal to the metal plate but it wouldn't stick at all the back of the decal was pretty dry I prepped the area before trying to fit it so i don't think it was an error i made or lack of prep work but anyway I've rubbed it down the best i can for now and its semi shiny so it will be ok for the minute till i can work out another way to put the the original "high low" text on it.

Still need to get those coin mech doors painted but other than that it's pretty much there

Starting with the screen, it always had dust inside but i never thought the screen would come up as well as it did...

Before:

After:

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:18 am

Was having a clear up today so had a chance to get a good picture of the cab as it stands today

i found the original foot rest bar and put it in place so it doesn't look like the cab has been altered.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 am

We are having building work done on the house so the cab is tucked away in a corner but tonight i put the "high low" sticker back on the shifter.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:26 am

One major update today, I've ordered a Ridge Racer 2 PCB from the states.

Decided to prep the machine for the arrival of the RR 2 PCB.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:30 am

I'm happy to report that the board has arrived and the board is now running great!

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:13 am

To do's:
Remove PSU and recap it (maybe other components if needed?)
Service steering wheel as it is making some pretty rough noises when turning
Move accelerator/brake pedals down so they are closer to the ground so i can use it without something under my feet
Possibly send my RR 2 board to Namco and get this texture issue resolved
Drill new brackets inside for RR 2 shell as it is longer than my original RR 1 board so i need screw mounts fitting inside so i can swap and change the boards when i feel like it
Possibly install a new fan to the PCB shell?
Repaint coin mech doors
Spray rear panel for the monitor black so it matches the cab
I've gone ahead and removed the PCB and power supply

Noticed this... some wires have been chopped about... this is the 240v feed to the PCB fan and everything up top (monitor/chassis/marquee light) Could this perhaps be the cause of my poor grounding? Any advice on the best way to clean this up?

Both RR 1 and RR 2 PCB's side by side

Power supply out and ready for capacitors to be removed, values checked and ordered then fit new caps

Time to really work on getting this cab back in shape Clap If anyone has any other suggestions for what i can do for either the board(s)/PSU/cab itself do let me know. Want to give it some really good TLC.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:16 am

Stripped it down to take note of the cap values and inspect them

They are all Nichicon caps which i presume is a good brand I seem to recall that name being a fairly good brand?

Anyway upon inspection they all look to be in extremely good, clean condition.

Tech note:

Capacitor list for power supply PCB's

Mainboard 2EA00A761

C22 25v 47uF
C21 50v 33uF
C65 50v 33uF
C66 25v 47uF
C72 50v 33uF
C55 25v 47uF
C53 25v 47uF
C54 25v 47uF
C56 25v 47uF
C61 10v 2200uF
C62 10v 2200uF
C63 10v 2200uF
C64 10v 1000uF
C58 16v 330uF
C57 16v 1000uF
C19 400v 220uF

Secondary board EA10A761

C16 400v 330uF
C15 400v 330uF

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:17 am

Just replaced the extremely poor connectors used for the 240v feed to the monitor/marquee/fan. Those blue connectors were really dodgy don't look like the sort of thing that should be carrying 240v at all..

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:20 am

I've been racking my brains thinking about what to do. I think i will get a new PSU in time but as it is working at the moment i see no reason to make a problem out of something where there isn't one.

"If it isn't broke, don't fix it"

I would like to be cautious with it given it's age though so it will be replaced eventually for now though i just gave it a good clean and put it all back together. I then tested the voltages again, all of which were solid as a rock.

System 22 board 5v feed:

I/O board 5v feed:

I/O board 12v feed:

It's pretty crazy that the entire System 22 board runs off 5 volts. The only 12v going into this is on the I/O board. No wonder the power supply is rated at 30A on the 5v rail... Finding a replacement PSU with 30A on 5v won't be cheap.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

Took the resistor out today and tested it

Seems to be fine after all. Unless .2 will make a difference? Or is that down to the tolerance?

I fitted it back to the machine and thought i'd try it while it's plugged in. I'm not sure if this is normal but if i try the multi meter on it from one direction it shows nothing at all on the screen. If i try it the other way around i get this:

Is this due to it being used/on a active circuit? Or does this show a problem?? Shocked

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:25 am

Better pictures of the dots issue, still need to resolve this

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:32 am

Got a bulb for the coin slot today

Need to get those doors off or replace them for some nice ones soon for sure it will begin to start looking rather good then!

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:33 am

Got a bulb for the coin slot today

Need to get those doors off or replace them for some nice ones soon for sure it will begin to start looking rather good then!

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:36 am

Had a bit of a clear up this evening and had chance to move the cab out and take some proper pictures of it.

It's coming together slowly...

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:39 am

I've decided to take a stab in the dark...

I've ordered one of these (SCHAFFNER FN 283-6-06)

I removed my mains filter for testing and it actually smelt of burnt electronics and had some sort of brown substance around it as if something had been leaking out from inside.

Might this be the cause of the interference on screen? we shall see....

I'm also working on getting the coin doors off for painting and ordered some lithium grease for all the moving parts inside the cab.

I'm also thinking some point down the line i want to remove the red section where the steering wheel is and send it off for repainting as it's chipped in the one corner so could really benefit from being sprayed.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:49 am

Ok it arrived... I have to say these newer ones are LOADS lighter than the originals LOL

Now, did it fix the dots issue....?

Of course not...!

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:50 am

On a brighter note:

Those pedals have always been dry as a bone, they move a lot nicer now, steering mech up next...

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:52 am

Sadly not I literally have no spares as I'm not a collector of arcades. I hit a wall when it comes to testing as i lack parts/spares to work with.

I was thinking of feeding the screen the RGB signal from my PSone (it runs on a RGB scart) but i have no idea what adaptor i would need or anything. if one even exists.

Done a bit more work on the cab, I had to remove the PCB to get to the steering mech so while i was doing this i thought I'd swap out my RR 2 board for my RR 1 board as it's not been run for awhile and i like to keep them both in use regularly.

Greased good and proper, moves alot nicer and no rough noises now but there is still that knocking noise for some reason I'm guessing a bearing or something is shot. It works flawlessly though so no biggie right now.

My 2 PCB's

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:57 am

Today, we begin getting involved! I've ordered 320 grit sand paper, Hammerite "hammered" black spray paint and a set of alan keys to start stripping the marguee and front panel/steering/gear shifter.

PSU and PCB removed.

Now, onto the interesting part which may be something to do with the dots issue!

I noticed there are scratch marks from where the tray which has the PSU/PCB on it slides in and out. I looked and someone has replaced the screws with some wood screws!

And funnily enough... there is a earth here!

This has been like this since i got it so this could be a poor earth causing the dots.

Need to get me some of these... any idea what they are called?

I also noticed this wire was loose from somewhere... I'm guessing the coin mech PCB

as well as this, no I'm assuming this is an alarm for the coin mech doors.

Looking at the other coin door there is another one which is in the same sort of state

I'm guessing these are the original coin mech door alarms or something as on other cabs i have noticed the holes below have a lock in place which most likely disarms the alarm when these switches are triggered.

Overall though, it's a start and some interesting finds. the wireing other than this is absolutely perfect no breaks or anything anywhere.

Next up: front panel off, marquee panels removed, sand blasted and painted as well as the coin mech doors which I'm going to have a go at my self. Time to give the little cab some TLC.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:58 am

Got some bits in this morning, quick little test:

Gunna get those off and do it properly but looking good so far, 320 grit does a perfect job on metal.

Think I'll do these too:

Had a go at sanding it but i think my sandpaper is too fine (320 grit) so it's removing the loose stuff but not the harder stuff.

I've arranged with a mate of mine to have them sand blasted for free so they are off to have that done as it saves me messing about and will be a better job anyway.

the pedal panel is off for the same treatment too.

Getting involved now!

Can't wait to see how they will look with this all over them

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:05 am

Added some new mounts, much better and should give that earth much better grounding.

I also replaced the bolts on the mains filter mount as they were rounded off and old.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:08 am

Fitted a new bolt mount for the RR 2 PCB as its slightly longer. I had it wood screwed in before but as i will be swapping and changing between the 2 boards i've made it so it's easily removed without damaging the PCB wood panel.

Drilled some holes into the new mains filter and also the metal bracket so i can secure it far better than the original ever was.

I'm also removing the panel to get rid of that nasty brown mark.

Looking much better! that hammerite is good stuff although it's very oily/wet needs quite a few coats to look nice and takes some time to dry off.

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:12 am

Marquee panels and control panel all removed

Site Admin

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:14 am

Replacement/test power supply arrived

I need to get some multi meter leads before i can start adding the adaptors and wires where they need to go. For now though i removed the 3.3v wires as they aren't needed.

Continue on page 2...
Next

Return to Games Consoles & Arcade Projects