Sony PlayStation 2 Region Free Mod & Network Gaming

Projects on computer game consoles and arcades

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:35 pm

Sony PlayStation 2 Region Free Mod & Network Gaming

So today i had a PS2 slim come in the mail.
It is a little beaten up but it was extremely cheap and i want to use it for playing PS2 games over my network from my Ubuntu server. It is a SCPH-70003 model. I plan to give it a good clean then install McFreeBoot 1.8b onto it's 8mb memory card via CD which gives you the ability to play imported games as well as backups. Then install some sort of launcher so i can access the shares on my Ubuntu server and play games over the network.

Here is the unit

Firstly i plan to perform some maintenance on this machine as it is old and cosmetically pretty rough looking so best to give it some TLC first...

PS2 slim internals

Very dry and dusty in the DVD drive area... this particular arm having dust and no lubrication on it is really not good and could cause it to fail.

Very dusty!

Time to grease the DVD drive shaft to ensure the DVD drive goes on for many years to come. Although, we won't actually be using it much!

Lots ready to move it back and forth and remove the excess

Much better!

Used compressed air on the rest of the unit and reassembled, time for the hacks to begin!

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:05 pm

Re: Sony PlayStation 2 Region Free Mod & Network Gaming

So on with the hack! For this we need a 007 game for PS2, a memory card, a usb stick and a blank DVD-R

The trick is, to swap out a file from this disk named DRIVING.ELF. you make an image of the 007 disc, boot it up to the menu using the original DVD so it passes all copyright protection checks then you swap the disk for your copied DVD-R with the custom DRIVING.ELF file which is infact a FreeMCBoot installer file! From here you go to mass/usb0 and in there you install FreeMcBoot onto the memory card of the PS2.

Firstly i need to wipe the memory card

There are a number of sensors which need to be held down for the console not to assume the DVD tray is open and either go back to the menu or hang.

Here we are at the menu, time to swap the disk!

Swapped

Now we select the driving mission and it loads the installer!

Site Admin

Post Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:32 pm

Re: Sony PlayStation 2 Region Free Mod & Network Gaming

Off we go with the install!

The swap trick worked and I'm now in uLaunchELF

Selected the install on my USB drive and away we go!

Formatted the memory card, selected multi install (so it will work on any form console, slim or fat)

Installing...

Reboot and, we are greeted by the FreeMCboot menu!

From here we want to install Open PS2 Launcher so i can run games from my server over the network

Back into uLaunchELF again (alot easier way this time, via the FreeMCBoot menu)

Navigated to the usb drive again and copied over the ELF file for OPL to the memory card

Reboot once again and into the configuration of FreeMCBoot

From here we need to add the ELF file to the menu for easier booting

Save the settings to the memory card...

Exit...

There we go! OPL is now on the menu and ready to go!

The OPL menu

Time to setup the network configuration

Save the settings...

Browse ethernet games and..

Game on!

Return to Games Consoles & Arcade Projects