Post Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:26 am

Sony PSP 3003 Console Conversion

I've always loved the PSP version of Ridge Racer but the one issue i have is... i have big hands so the little handheld console is pretty uncomfortable to use. I've always planned to do this conversion but finding the right donor console was hard...

Until now, I have just got my hands on a Sony PSP 3003 lite and bright model with the upgraded screen AND TV output. All for the sum of £10 which is a steal even if it's current state.

As you can see above... this little machine has had a tough life and the rear door for the UMD disk is completely gone and the mounts are snapped off. I could repair this with a new PSP case but i have bigger plans for this machine.

It does work perfectly, and I've just gone ahead and modded the firmware with CFW custom firmware so i can load game images from the memory stick instead of UMD disks as obviously they won't work at the moment.

All done, custom firmware loaded.

I have ordered a bigger memory card, a component TV output cable and a power supply for it. The biggest job here though will be wiring in a Sony Dual Shock 2 controller into the machines board itself so i can control the console using a proper controller not the tiny buttons it comes with. This way i will have proper TV output with a proper controller effectively making this a home console.