Dell Latitude E5430/20 Laptop Cooling Maintenance

Jason Newman's computer projects

Site Admin

Post Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:45 pm

Dell Latitude E5430/20 Laptop Cooling Maintenance

Today i took apart both of my Latitude laptops for cooling maintenance. They were both running a little hot so it was time for new thermal paste and a good clean out.

Here is laptop number one, it is a Dell Latitude E5420 with a 2nd generation i5 2.5Ghz processor, 6GB ram and a 120GB SSD. I use this as my portable laptop.

Beginning strip down

Panels removed, i must commend Dell for their design of this laptop. Most laptops you have to strip them down to get at the CPU/cooling fan but this design it is simply 6 screws and 2 panels... Really good design!

The CPU with very old paste

Heatsink with old paste

Cleaned and new thermal paste on

I also blew out all the fans and grills.

Reassembly begins!

Once reassembled I ran some tests and the results were great!

Before:

Idle: 62c
Full load: 87c

After:

Idle: 47c
Full load: 62c

Site Admin

Post Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:07 am

Re: Dell Latitude E5430/20 Laptop Cooling Maintenance

Second laptop is my main pc i use at a desk with a Asus 24" HD screen. It is a little better than the first model but they are the the same to look at and of the same family in Dells laptops.

It is a Latitude E5430 with a 3rd generation i5 2.6Ghz (3.3Ghz turbo mode), 8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 RAM and a 120GB SSD.

Again we begin the strip down

This model too has the very handy panels to give easy access to all the vital parts, well done Dell!

On this model i chose to remove some of the grill to improve air flow, this machine is on A LOT and gets hammered with light gaming, HD video editing/encoding, HD video playback and all sorts of other tasks. It is always used on a laptop pad so it's never at risk of things getting into the fan so i chose to remove some of it.

Much better!

Here is the old thermal paste once again

Cleaned

Also blew out the grill and cleaned the heatsink

New paste applied and reassembled

After this was done, i did the usual tests and there was a massive improvement over the somewhat shocking temps i had previously

Before:

Idle: 65c
Load: 92c

After:

Idle: 49c
Load: 72c

Still quite warm but nothing to be of concern and a massive improvement over an unhealthy 90c!

Return to Computer Projects