AMD Athlon X2 Extreme Liquid Cooling

Jason Newman's computer projects

Site Admin

Post Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:54 pm

AMD Athlon X2 Extreme Liquid Cooling

I'm going to run a few tests on a motherboard and CPU in various situations to test out temp differences. This project doesn't really have much purpose apart from sheer curiousity.

So here we have the test rig, an AMD Athlon x2 machine with a socket AM2 board. 1GB ram running Ubuntu Server.

First off, obvious essential thing to do would be new thermal paste!

All done and running! Time for some basic room temp tests.

With the stock AMD cooler and room temp (about 19c?) it hits:

This is the idle temp, I will be using a program called "stress" to push the CPU and raise the temp.

Once installed, i ran the program..

The end result of stressing the machine was:

So after this quick test, it was time for our first experiment... I chose to put the machine outside as it is a clear but cold night so i was curious what temps i would get with the stock cooler outside.

Idle temp:

Under stress:

9c idle and 30c under full load... Crazy!

More tests to follow...

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:11 am

Re: AMD Athlon x2 Extreme Cooling Tests

Ok, time to get extreme...

I had a think about when else to do regarding cooling... I have done water cooling before with a CPU block and radiator etc but that is boring... I want to think out of the box.

Are you ready for this insanity?

Cooking oil cooling!

I want to see what will happen with the cpu and motherboard submerged in liquid. Obviously, you can't use water or even distilled water. Cooking oil/mineral water however... Does not conduct electricity.

Let's fill!

All full and ready for the big switch on!

It's alive! Idle temp:

Stress test temp:

I moved the fan so the oil would circulate more

This decreased the temps by up to 4c! there is something very amusing about the oil flowing through the fan and heat sink ha!

Site Admin

Post Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:43 am

Re: AMD Athlon x2 Extreme Cooling Tests

I had intended to do an outside test with the oil but sadly...

Some how the new replacement CPU heat sink bracket snapped and the heat sink no longer fits tightly onto the CPU... Great timing.

I did try it outside with it sat loosely on the CPU but sadly it gave pretty poor results.

Shame but can't win them all i guess... I did however run it without a heat sink at all which was amusing. Surprisingly it did run too but any type of load or stress and the machine would turn off as i set the BIOS to turn the machine off at 90c

Time for a clean up!

Return to Computer Projects