Time to give my ZX Spectrum +3 some TLC. I got this off a friend recently and it hadn’t seen use in many, many years.
Naturally, the floppy drive didn’t work as the belt was completely knackered (common for Spectrum’s of this age).
Let’s get it replaced!
One of the great improvements of the +3 models… socketed RAM chips!
A look at the Amstrad custom ROM chips and the Z80 3.5mhz CPU
Once i got the floppy drive out and stripped down, the issue was clear!
Completely destroyed and wrapped around the drive spindle. I removed the remains of the belt but as it had been on there so long some of it was literally stuck to the spindle in the form of a rubbery paste.
Rubbing alcohol soon sorted that out…
Nice and clean!
New belt being fitted…
All done, time to test!
Remains of the belt…
Reassembling the FDD.
Perfect! All done ready to code some BASIC.