Today i dug out my old Nintendo Entertainment System. This console is my childhood console I remember playing this as a kid and as it’s so sentimental I’m planning to refurbish the machine in a number of ways…
New voltage regulator
72 pin connector clean and realignment
A good clean to remove the 25+ years worth of dust
Disable the NES lock out chip
Here is the old beast
Here is the old 7508 voltage regulator with ancient thermal paste.
Removing the heatsink.
Old thermal paste removed and cleaned.
Old voltage regulator and new one, the old model is a 17508 voltage regulator. The one i am replacing it with is a more modern L7805CA which is the same pin out but can handle 1.5A instead of 1A.
New voltage regulator fitted, time for new thermal paste. I’m using very expensive Artic Silver 5 thermal compound here which is usually for gaming PC’s. It contains pure silver for extremely good thermal transfer.
Fitted and ready!
After looking over the board, the caps do look to have some electrolyte leakage on them.
Strange for Rubycon capacitors to fail but i guess this machine was manufactured in 1985 so it’s actually older than me! So after over 30 years I guess the caps have done well. The machine got A LOT of use when i was younger.
Time to fit the new Panasonic capacitors.
Further inspection of the 2.2uF cap, doesn’t look healthy at all!
I had to order a 1uF and 2.2uF capacitor which i thought I had so i will need to wait on those. For now, I’m going to give the board a really good clean and also clean the 72 pin connector. After that, it’s bye bye lock out chip!
Dirty, dusty board.
Nice, clean board!
And the other side!
Next up, 72 pin connector.
Distilled water + heat = happy connector!
Hair drier to dry it quickly and avoid water blemish on the pins.
Should read cartridges nicely now! 72 pin connector all done!
I’ve now disabled the lock out chip to make the console region free.
Achieved by removing pin 4.
Other capacitors arrived so time to replace the last 2 and test it out!
Old caps removed..
New caps fitted, much better!
Reassembling the console…
First initial power on test…
Working great! A bit of cartridge bay alignment was needed but once i did all that… the top went back on and…
Good times! The console also loads cartridges first time, every time now. Anyone who has owned one of these consoles knows how picky they can be to load up carts so this is a real result!
Also, the picture is absolutely fantastic now even on a LED LCD panel. One of those caps must of been related to the video signal from the PPU as this is a major improvement over what it was like before.